Thursday, February 08, 2007

Rudy Giuliani: Opposes Abortion Believes Woman's Right to Choose

Will Rudy change his position on his pro-choice stance? He's polling ahead now, regardless, will he outdistance the closest competition with a more conservative position on the abortion question?

Discussed on Fox News Network Greg Jarrett? two guests didn't think the book Grand Illusion assertions would have much effect on the candidacy of Rudy Giuliani

Grand Illusion
The Untold Story of Rudy Giuliani and 9/11
By Wayne Barrett, Dan Collins


http://www.harpercollins.com/books/9780060536602/Grand_Illusion/index.aspx

More

He's Ready! Rudy Giuliani Talks with Sean Hannity
Tuesday, February 06, 2007
This is a partial transcript from "Hannity & Colmes," February 5, 2007, that has been edited for clarity.

SEAN HANNITY, CO-HOST: And welcome to "Hannity & Colmes." Thank you for being with us. I'm Sean Hannity.

And we get right to our top story tonight. Earlier today, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani filed "statement of candidacy" papers with the Federal Elections Commission. Mayor Giuliani joins us now for a “Hannity & Colmes” exclusive interview!

clip

HANNITY: Where does Rudy Giuliani stand on abortion? And do you think Roe v. Wade is a good law, a bad law?

GIULIANI: Where I stand on abortion is, I oppose it. I don't like it. I hate it. I think abortion is something that, as a personal matter, I would advise somebody against.

However, I believe in a woman's right to choose. I think you have to ultimately not put a woman in jail for that, and I think ultimately you have to leave that to a disagreement of conscience and you have to respect the choice that somebody makes.

So what I do say to conservatives, because then, you know, you want to look at, well, OK, what can we look to that is similar to the way we think? I think the appointment of judges that I would make would be very similar to, if not exactly the same as, the last two judges that were appointed.

Chief Justice Roberts is somebody I work with, somebody I admire, Justice Alito someone I knew when he was U.S. attorney, also admire. If I had been president over the last four years, I can't think of any, you know, that I'd do anything different with that.

And I guess the key to it is -- and I appointed over 100 judges when I was the mayor -- so it's something I take very, very seriously -- I would appoint judges that interpreted the Constitution rather than invented it, understood the difference between being a judge and being a legislator. And having argued a case before the Supreme Court, having argued in many, many courts is something I would take very, very seriously.

HANNITY: So you would look for a Scalia, a Roberts, an Alito?

GIULIANI: Scalia is another former colleague of mine and somebody I consider to be a really great judge. I mean, that would be -- you're never going to get somebody exactly the same. You're never -- and I don't think you have a litmus test. But I do think you have sort of a general philosophical approach that you want from a justice, and I think a strict constructionist would be probably the way I'd describe it.

HANNITY: Is "Roe" a bad law?

GIULIANI: I think that's up to the court to decide. I think that it's been precedent for a very, very long time. There are questions about the way it was decided and some of the bases for it. At this point, it's precedent. It's going to be very interesting to see what Chief Justice Roberts and what Justices Scalia and Alito do with it.

I think probably they're going to limit it rather than overturn it. In other words, they'll accept some of the limitations that different states have placed on it or the federal government has placed on it.

HANNITY: Partial birth?

GIULIANI: Partial-birth abortion, I think that's going to be upheld. I think that ban is going to be upheld. I think it should be. And I think, as long as there's provision for the life of the mother, then that's something that should be done.

HANNITY: There's a misconception that you supported partial-birth abortion.

GIULIANI: Yes, well, if it doesn't have a provision for the life of the mother, then I wouldn't support the legislation. If it has provision for the life of the mother, then I would support it...



http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,250497,00.html

No comments: