Monday, December 18, 2006

O'Reilly: Rather put up show documentation Fox White House talking points

On the O'Reilly Factor tonight, Bill O'Reilly still wants the documentation from Dan Rather concerning those talking points Rather claimed Fox News anchors received from the White House.

accused fox news of being in the tank with the white house...

Clip from HBO Real Time... Rather, they all get their talking points from the white house...

O'Reilly showed a clip from CNN, and said Rather can't back it up... he's welecome on the Factor... all he wants is documentation of his accusations... back it up Dan, and he can't...

O'Reilly spoke with Michele Malkin, and said she might have been right and he was wrong. Put up or apologize to Fox News... still gonna let him come on...

Malkin have him on, but be careful it might be typed on the same paper as that memo...

Not happening, then is happening, says Kirsten Powers, maybe he was watching OUTFOXED, she says...

Hey, maybe Powers read our December 5, 2006 blog don't forget Dan Rather on O'Reilly Factor Fox News Memo-gate? wherein

sometime soon... Dan Rather was invited to be a guest on Bill O'Reilly's The Factor to explain his statement that Fox News Network people receive talking points from the White House.

Archives fox news

http://www.foxnews.com/archive/

My suspicion is this is going to have something to do with the internet noise about a reported (Huffington Post find) Fox News Network executive's (John Moody) internal memo to anchors.

The memo was reportedly revealed by the Huffington Post and includes an image of the reputed internal memo...

http://netthetruthonline.blogspot.com/2006/12/dont-forget-dan-rather-on-oreilly.html

or maybe she read the Net the Truth Online exclusive idea that the Moody memo is another fake as outlined in our post Wednesday, November 15, 2006 If O.J. Did it...? Another memo-fake? U Decide

http://netthetruthonline.blogspot.com/2006/11/if-oj-did-it-heres-how-it-was-done.html

I mean, really, why else would Powers make a statement like that, hinting that Dan Rather watched too much of OutFoxed which was all about so-called internal Fox News memos! We were the only ones on the net linking Rather's statements to potentially reading the so-called Moody memo on the Huffington Post!

Powers doesn't list our blog as one to read, but she lists the Huffington Post

Continuing...

O'Reilly: he's basically saying we're on the take, that's a serious thing...

Kirsten Powers... this is an opinion show, you can say whatever you want...

Well, O'Reilly was still so confused about what Rather actually said on CNN, he didn't catch Kirsten's deflection there.

Malkin said something clever hopefully it will be on her blog as it's late and don't want to misquote...

Interview With Dan Rather
Aired December 17, 2006 - 10:30 ET
Reliable Sources

HOWARD KURTZ, HOST: The Rather factor. The last journalist to interview Saddam Hussein weighs in on charges that the media's coverage of Iraq is to negative...

...KURTZ: All right. You recently went on Bill Maher's HBO show and you had some things to say about Fox News which, not shockingly, Bill O'Reilly later took issue with. Let's play a clip from the "O'Reilly Factor" and we'll see the exchange.

RATHER: Sure.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

RATHER: I think it is fair to say, Bill, in fact, I know it is, that Fox News operates in at least a somewhat different way that every other news organization that I know. That they have their talking points. In other words, somebody in the hierarchy, whether this is Roger Ailes who runs the place or not, we know that they get talking points from the White House.

BILL O'REILLY, FOX NEWS HOST: Well, Mr. Rather's assertions are nonsense, untrue, seriously dopey. I've been here from the beginning and I have never seen a White House talking points and I don't know anyone else who has seen one either.

I asked senior management if they have ever seen a White House talking points. No one had.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

KURTZ: Seriously dopey, says Bill O'Reilly. How do you respond, Dan Rather?

RATHER: Well, first of all, Bill has invited me to be on his program and I intend to be on the program. I stand by what I said on the Bill Maher program. Not only is it true but it is widely known to be true and I do know it to be true.

Bill has a different view. He is entitled to that view but they can't have it both ways. They can't on the one hand, day after day, week after week, take the administration's point of view and use their talking points and then turn around, particularly when the president's own popularity begins to slide some, try to disassociate themselves with that.

I want to make it very clear, Howard, as I did on the Bill Maher program, I have great respect for Roger Ailes and what he has done with Fox News and I think this, contrary to what some people think, I think that the addition of Fox News to the American media landscape has in the main and overall probably been a good thing and I said words to that effect in the program.

But I stand by what I said.

KURTZ: But are you saying that Fox News often takes the same line as the Bush administration or are you saying that pieces of paper are literally faxed over or e-mailed over ...

RATHER: I don't know about pieces of paper being faxed over. I certainly am saying the first, that they often take the same line, and exactly the same line in exactly the same words. That I said that I know they use talking points from the White House and by the way, I did say that's not only not an indictable offense but it's journalism practiced in a certain way. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, quite honestly.

KURTZ: Mm-hmm.

RATHER: It is not the way I choose to operate and a lot of people in journalism don't but I don't see anything wrong with it.

I do think - I wouldn't say wrong, but it's unbecoming on the one hand to do it and on the other hand to say, well, we never do that.

Again, I want to be explicitly clear. Bill O'Reilly may never get White House talking points and I believe him when he says he doesn't get it. I also believe when he says he checked the top management and top management said we never see pieces of paper, whatever ...

But Howard, with our young men and women dying in Iraq and Afghanistan and getting severely wounded, with a huge deficit ballooning, with all the problems we got, it's a little hard to justify spending this much time talking about it, or for that matter having anybody else talk about it, although it's clearly their choice and it's been Bill's choice.

But I think far too much has been made out of this. Because it's not about me. It's not about Bill O'Reilly. It's about trying to get the truth to the American people.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

KURTZ: When we come back, Dan Rather on his messy departure from CBS and his successor, Katie Couric...


http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0612/17/rs.01.html

Dan Rather Owes FOX News an Apology
Monday, December 04, 2006

By Bill O'Reilly

...
But when a high profile guy like Dan Rather makes a blatantly untrue assertion about us, I have to deal with it. Here's what Rather said on Bill Maher's program.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

DAN RATHER, ANCHOR, HDNET: I think it's fair to say, Bill, in fact I know it is, that FOX News operates in at least a somewhat different way than every other news organization that I know, that they have their "talking points," in which somebody in the hierarchy, whether this is Roger Ailes who runs the place or not, we know that they get talking points from the White House. And they can say well, we don't always take those talking points, but I think it's pretty clear that they had wished the election had gone another way.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

Well, Mr. Rather's assertions are nonsense, untrue, seriously dopey. I've been here from the beginning, and have never seen a White House "talking points." — And I don't know anyone else who's seen one either.

I asked senior management if they have ever seen a White House talking points. No one had.

So we called Dan Rather to ask for some "documentation." He's on the road, but said he'd come on “The Factor” next week to explain. Can't wait.

As you may remember, I defended Rather in the Bush National Guard debacle. I said Rather did not intentionally put on a bogus story. He just didn't check it out, he was too anxious for the story to be true.

Now many of you criticized me for that defense, but I'm a fact-based guy. And there's no evidence Dan Rather fabricated anything. It was sloppy reporting that did him in.

But now the fabrication word is in play again. If Dan Rather has evidence of White House dictums coming to FOX News employees, he needs to display that evidence. We are awaiting his appearance. We'll let you know when it is.

That's "The Memo."


http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,234144,00.html

Monday, December 04, 2006
don't forget Dan Rather on O'Reilly Factor Fox News Memo-gate?
sometime soon... Dan Rather was invited to be a guest on Bill O'Reilly's The Factor to explain his statement that Fox News Network people receive talking points from the White House...

http://netthetruthonline.blogspot.com/2006/12/dont-forget-dan-rather-on-oreilly.html

No comments: